Who typically needs dentures?
People who need dentures are people who have multiple teeth missing and as such, the integrity of the mouth is in question. There are other reasons you may need dentures, too. Signs you may need dentures include the following conditions:
- Chronic toothaches, which can be indicative of extensive decay having an impact on nerves in the center of each tooth;
- Red, swollen, tender, and/or bleeding gums, which can be indicative of gum disease, like gingivitis and periodontal disease;
- Pain eating some foods, which can be indicative that a tooth (or more) may be cracked, gum disease has commenced, teeth are decaying, and/or cavities exist; and/or
- Indigestion, which is a result of not being able to eat food properly because of the above conditions.
What types of dentures are available in San Antonio, Texas?
There are two basic types of dentures: complete or partial. Complete dentures are necessary when all of a person’s teeth are missing or must be removed. Complete dentures are categorized as either:
- Conventional, which means dentures are not placed in the mouth until 8 to 12 weeks after all teeth are removed so the gums have time to heal properly and adequately; or
- Immediate, which means dentures are made prior to the removal of all teeth and, because of the latter, can be inserted directly after all teeth are removed — healing of the gums occurs while the dentures are in place.
Oftentimes, immediate dentures are a short-term fix so patients can eat properly while they wait for their gums to heal before placement of conventional dentures. Partial dentures, on the other hand, are for people who still have a few remaining natural teeth.
What are the benefits of dentures?
Dentures benefits are two-fold: (1) appearance; and (2) health. Dentures improve your appearance by filling in gaps in your mouth. Missing teeth can cause insecurities and low self-esteem among people. By filling the mouth with natural looking teeth and gums, a patient can regain confidence and smile again. They improve your health, too, by strengthening the structure of your mouth, providing support for your cheeks, and enabling patients to fully and properly chew their food, which has a direct impact on digestion.
Where can you get dentures in San Antonio, Texas?
Dentures can significantly impact your appearance and your health. If you are missing a few teeth or require the extraction of all your teeth, then you may want to consider dentures. By speaking with a dentist experienced in dentures, you can understand what your options are and how each of those options will affect you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more.